Tenant fees and additional costs
In accordance with The Tenant Fees Act 2019, permitted payments by a tenant to a landlord or agent are as follows:
- The rent;
- A refundable tenancy deposit capped at no more than five weeks’ rent where the annual rent is less than £50,000, or six weeks; rent where the total annual rent is £50,000 or more;
- A refundable holding deposit (to reserve a property) capped at one week’s rent;
- Payments to change the tenancy when requested by the tenant, capped at £50, or reasonable costs incurred if higher;
- Payments associated with early termination of the tenancy when requested by the tenant;
- Payments in respect of utilities, communication services, TV license and council tax;
- A default fee for late payment of rent and replacement of a lost key/security device, where required under a tenancy agreement;
- Green Deal charge.
Russell Simpson is a member of The Property Ombudsman (TPO) and ARLA Propertymark and therefore endeavours to comply with TPO and ARLA Propertymark’s Codes of Practice. These Codes can be obtained directly from the organisations’ websites – www.tpos.co.uk & www.arla.co.uk
As a member of ARLA Propertymark, Russell Simpson is also a member of ARLA’s Client Money Protection (CMP) Scheme.