A Chic London Mews Apartment With Unusually Large Rooms and High Ceilings
- By Bertie Russell
- August 23
The exclusive cobblestone courtyard known as Turnchapel Mews sits between Clapham Common and Battersea Park in south London. In the mid-19th century, the now private and gated mews served as horse stables for the main houses on the surrounding streets.
A charming and quite large apartment there, the five-bedroom No. 8 Turnchapel Mews,occupies the top floor of four terraced mews houses and has a large outdoor terrace (most of the apartment is on one floor, but a small part is on a separate floor). In the 1980s, the acclaimed author Roald Dahl lived just downstairs, according to the listing agents.
“From the outside it’s hard to envisage the space within,” said Jake Russell, a director at the London firm of Russell Simpson. “However, as soon as you step inside, it opens up into this wonderful, open environment.”
“Often, mews houses have smaller proportions than a normal house, with lower ceilings and tighter rooms, but No.8 couldn’t be further from the norm,” he said.
The rooms feature a prominent peaked roof with exposed beams that add character and a sense of history. They are bright with natural light, Mr. Russell said.
You enter the home via a grand entrance hall, which leads to a stairway up to the apartment. The stairs lead directly into the dining room, with the master bedroom suite, which includes a private dressing room, off to the left. Through the dining room is the expansive drawing room.
“The kitchen is the heart of the home,” Mr. Russell said. Located on the second floor, the space features a loft-like peaked ceiling with wooden beams and three sash windows, “which create a wonderful sense of light and space.” The kitchen also has wood cabinets, marble work surfaces, an island and rustic wooden flooring.
“I would imagine this house going to a family or to someone working in the City or West End,” Mr. Russell said. “Its proximity to a number of stations means buyers can take advantage of the quick commuting time, while the private, gated nature of the mews provides a peaceful privacy.”
“It is also very close to two of the finest green spaces south of the Thames, which will appeal to families,” he said.
Read the original article on Mansion Global.
- Thank you to @TheLondonMag for awarding us with the #Instagram of the Month >> Follow us on Insta at >>… https://t.co/vavd5cn1RZ
- RT @Edingtonsltd: Cadogan Property valuation up 2.4% to a new peak of £5.99bn https://t.co/iTNsh5vbAI
- Amazing 6 bed house for rent on Carlton Hill #NW8. Completely refurbished throughout. Garden, pool & parking!… https://t.co/vgWLyhZD8Y
- Looking to FURNISH ur home for #SALES purposes >> The Guys & Gals at @kellingdesigns are BRILLIANT for colourful, 1… https://t.co/vVzoYezB1n
- GREAT #STATS on the EXCITING project that is Battersea Power Station > £20BN Boost 2 the UK Economy & an AMAZING of… https://t.co/1ujJWEQan7